Snips and Snails

Filed under: Baby Names,Pregnancy — Amy @ 11:34 am

I haven’t talked a whole lot about this pregnancy.  Somewhat because it’s been relatively uneventful (a good thing) and somewhat because it’s hard for me to really wrap my mind around a child entering this house until I know its gender.  Which I know would have made pregnancy very difficult for me 20 years ago.  But I can’t envision a genderless baby, so I usually don’t try.

Anyway, we found out yesterday.  Looks like we’re having a BOY.  I can finally start planning the nursery.

Let the Great Name Debate of 2008 commence.

And now I’m totally wishing that I had one of those blogs that 500 people read and comment on so I could start asking for name suggestions.  See, J and I struggle with names, especially boy names.  Until yesterday, I didn’t have a single one that I even liked.  And when I do come up with some that I like, J is sure to hate them.  So I need plenty of backups.

We both agree that we don’t like common names.  I grew up as an Amy, which meant being one of six in every class.  I will not do that to my child.  We both have a fondness for Gaelic names, and (it seems) names that end in “N.”  Due to our last name, we really shouldn’t pick a first name that ends in “L.”

Anybody wanna play?

8 Responses so far.

1. zephra says:

I am going through the same thing with my sister. Boys names are hard for me. I will let you know if any good ones pop into my head.

2. ania says:

Just to start, Aedan or Aiden or Aidan?

3. The Other J says:

Names that end with N but don’t end with L. That could be fun.

I love the name Duncan… I don’t know much about origin, but I love the name. Here are some other names:

Carter
    Hunter
    Barton
    Jefferson
    Edmond
    Wade

Good Luck!

The Other Jens’ last blog post..More possible names

4. Melissa says:

YAY!!! How exciting!!!! 🙂 You came to the right place for names. Everytime I hear a good one, I add it to my list. Here is my current boy list (I know some of these are “common” but I thought I would just give you the entire list). Remember, if you take one of my names I get a copy of the first baby picture!!!!

Aidan
    Sean
    Trevor
    Tyler
    William
    Zachary

5. Melissa says:

In case my names are too common, I found this site of all Gaelic boys names!!! 🙂

6. trish says:

Yay !! A Boy !!

Melissa– great site!

Amy did you see abboid?
    How ’bout that one? HaHaaHaHaHaHA
    I DO like a couple names on the list.
    I like Allister.( reminds me of that show on the nickelodeon-“you can’t do that on television” in the 80’s– I think he spelled it Alastair)

I like Reilly ( the REAL way to spell it)

why not Sam?

7. Valerie says:

Hi Zephra’s sis here. I would offer up some names but well see we can’t figure out a name for our soon to be baby boy either. Good luck though.

Valerie’s last blog post..Road map